Saint Luke Parish History
1914 - Father Joseph Collins appointed as the first pastor of Saint Luke the Evangelist Parish, with the congregation of 175. First mass celebrated, October 11th, in the Benoist-Christy Home.
1915 - Two story home purchased at 7237 Delta Street (just west of convent) to serve as church and rectory.
1916 - The cornerstone for a combination church and school was placed in April. St. Luke's School opens it doors on September 5th to four grades in two classrooms. Combination church/school building dedicated on October 8th. The Sisters of St. Joesph of Carondelet begin 84 years of service to St. Luke's School.
1929 - St. Luke's modern church completed. Former combination building converted into classrooms to expand the size of the school with eight rooms for eight grades.
1940 - For the Silver Jubilee, the church sanctuary was refurbished with stone and marble altar offset by the gothic ornamentation behind the altar.
1949 - The school was rebuilt and expanded, doubling the room capacity. Father McMahon accorded the title of Monsignor.
1952 - Construction on the convent was completed. The former convent was demolished to allow for additional playground area.
1964 - Golden Jubilee Eucharistic celebration presided over by Cardinal Joseph Ritter.
1982 - Parish Spiritual Renewal Movement begins its first season with more than 200 parishioners participating.
1989 - Parish celebrates 75th Anniversary. All alumni invited to return to St. Luke's.
1993 - First parish auction held at Immaculate Conception hall.
1996 - Parish chosen as pilot for "Returning God's Gifts," and exceeded goal by more than 50%.
2002 - St. Luke Parish establishes a capital campaign, "A Window to the Future" and raises over $300,000 to address various capital improvements and help the school funding.
2007 - After 91 years of education, St. Luke's Parish School celebrated its final year.
2009 - The school building is leased to Clayton Childcare Academy, a private pre-school and grade school.
2012 - A new organ is installed in the church replacing the original organ installed in 1929.
2012 - The school building is leased to International Schoolhouse, a Spanish immersion school, private pre-school and grade school.
2014 - Parish celebrates its 100th anniversary with a variety of events including a trivia night, an egg hunt on the field, a parish/alumni homecoming featuring the Bob Kuban Band, a movie night on the field and commencing with Mass celebrated by Archbishop Robert Carlson along with a dinner at Orlando Gardens.